Main Modal Auxiliary Verbs

Main Modal Auxiliary Verbs
Main modal auxiliary verbs are ten in number. They do not permit, neither can they be used with  -s, -ing, en, or to-infinitive. They are:
Can/could
Will/would
May/might
Shall/should

Must
Need
Dare
Now let’s see the tense table for the above auxiliaries:
Present/base form
past
Can
Will
May
Shall
Must
Dare
Need
Could
Would
Might
should

Let’s see how each modal auxiliary verbs could appear on the table below:
Long form
Shortened form
Negative form
Shortened form
Can
Will
May
Shall
Must
Dare
Could
Would
Might
Should
Need

‘ll




‘d
‘d
Cannot
Will not
May not
Shall not
Must not
Dare not
Could not
Would not
Might not
Should not
Need not
Can’t
Won’t

Shan’t
Mustn’t

Couldn’t
Wouldn’t

Shouldn’t
Needn’t

Did you get that? Okay. Let’s use few of the above modal auxiliary verbs in three different sentences, indicating their various forms respectively:
1.      I would like to see you there. (long  form)
I’d like to see you there. (shortened form)
I would not like to see you there. (Negative form)
I wouldn’t like to see you there. (Shortened form)

2.      I will be there. (Long form)
I’ll be there. (Shortened form)
I will not be there. (Negative form)
I won’t be there. (Negative form)

3.      I shall remain calm till he comes. (long form)
I shall not remain calm till he comes. (Negative form)
I shan’t remain calm till he comes. (Shortened form)

Exercise

Use need, can, dare, may, and should in five different sentences, indicating their various forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment